Sunday March 26, 2017
Kabul (BNA) Afghanistan’s Wolesi Jirga or the house of people is expected to summon ministers of defense and interior as well as National Security Director over the recent deadly massive suicide attacks on a military hospital that left dozens dead and as many wounded.
The officials would be dismissed if failed to provide lawmakers with convincible reasons over the bloody incident in Sardar Mohammad Daud Khan hospital. The incident sparked anger from the people and the country’s parliament, asking the government for protection of the hospitalized military injuries, as they are shielding their bodies to protect the people.
The people said the government should tighten security of the hospital and prevent terrorists influence into the key military compounds, including the related military healthcare centers.
Afghan citizens asked the government for taking firm step in bringing reforms in the state ran institutions and those officials with no achievement in 2016 and no plan for 2017 should be removed of power and instead those with experience and ability to use development budget should be appointed in the key posts. If reforms are not brought in the government system, under rewards and punishments, no development will be witnessed and the people will face more challenges. Security is worsening recently day by day, despites high casualties from security forces of the country; lack of a special war strategy and lack of exact definition between foe and friend are the two factors behind the growing insecurity in the country.
The international community, particularly the US should also avoid playing double policy before Afghanistan and contribute to war on terror.
International coalition should provide enough arms and equipment to the domestic security forces instead of increasing the in the number of foreign troops, in war against terrorism. Terrorism if not controlled would overwhelm all the region and the world. In some provinces of Afghanistan, particularly in the southern Helmand’s Sangeen district, counterinsurgents operation is continuing, while in three other districts including Nad Ali clearing operation by the security forces are underway as according to the defense ministry’s spokesman, in Garmsir, Washir and Sangeen districts, a series of sweeping operation has earlier been launched by national army forces, which have good achievements so far by imposing heavy casualties on the government armed oppositions. Wolesi Jirga’s security authorities summon comes in a time that many administration are led by acting ministers and acting chairmen.
Sunday March 26, 2017
Kabul (BNA) Pakistan will participate in a conference to be held over Afghanistan in Moscow, the country’s Foreign Office confirmed to media.
Spokesperson for the Pakistan’s Foreign Nafees Zakri said that Pakistan had opened its borders with Afghanistan in a gesture of goodwill and stressed that Afghanistan should cooperate over issues related to border management.
He said that Pakistan would continue efforts to maintain peace in Afghanistan. The Pak-Afghan border was opened at the Prime Minister’s (PM) behest on Tuesday after 32 days. Thousands of individuals and cargo vehicles crossed the border through Torkham and Chaman.
Pakistan had sealed its border with Afghanistan for an ‘indefinite period’ owing to security concerns following the deadly suicide bombing at Lal Shahbaz Qalandar shrine in Sindh last month, in which over 80 people lost their lives and over 250 were injured. The attack on the shrine in Sehwan city of Sindh was part of a deadly wave of terror attacks in the country, and the fifth blast in less than a week targeting innocent people.
Russia and China in recent months have been spearheading efforts to revive the peace talks between the Taliban and Kabul. Their efforts, however, are being seen with suspicion in the west, especially in the United States.
Sunday March 26, 2017
Kabul (BNA) The U.S. military in Afghanistan is stepping up its fight against the growing Islamic State branch in the Afghanistan-Pakistan region, vowing the defeat the jihadist group this year.
“We stand confident that the new U.S. administration under President [Donald] Trump will remain strategically engaged and continue its support,” declared Foreign Minister Salahuddin Rabbani during a recent appearance at the Atlantic Council in Washington.
Meanwhile American Navy Capt. Bill Salvin, the spokesperson and director of public affairs for the U.S./NATO-led coalition in Kabul told Voice of America that their main goal in 2017 is to defeat ISIS-K in Afghanistan.
“In 2016, we believed that year began with about 3,000 or so ISIS-K members in about 12 districts in southern Nangarhar,” revealed the U.S. military spokesman and was quoted by VoA. “Right now, we believe there are about 600 ISIS-K members in two or three districts in southern Nangarhar.” The U.S. military has identified the eastern opium-rich Afghanistan province of Nangarhar, located on the country’s border with Pakistan, as the stronghold and base of attack of the Islamic State branch in the region, known as the Khorasan Province (ISIS-K).
Despite the loses the ISIL-K has suffered, American Gen. John Nicholson, the top commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, recently told lawmakers ISIL-K has “shown an ability to conduct attacks in Kabul and elsewhere in the country.” The Islamic State has claimed various major attacks in Kabul, including the March 8 massacre at a hospital that left at least 31 people dead. In October 2016, Gen. Nicholson said one of the primary goals of the Islamic State (IS) was to establish a caliphate on Afghan soil.
Sunday March 26, 2017
Kabul (BNA) Deputy Minister for Management and Resources of Ministry of Foreign Affairs Nasir Ahmad Andisha met a Turkish delegation led by the General Director of Migration Department in Turkey Atilla Toros with the presence of the Turkish Ambassador Ali Sait Akýn here yesterday, a MoFA statement said.
At the outset, the Deputy Minister expressed his appreciation for Turkey’s brotherly and friendly cooperation and Turkey’s support with Afghanistan over the past 100 years, especially its sacrifices and support in the past 16 years in Afghanistan, adding Afghans have always considered Turkey their second home, and Turks are our brothers. Afterwards, Toros said that Turks too consider Afghanistan their second home, and Afghans have a special place in their hearts. During this meeting, both sides talked on preventing illegal migration of Afghans to Turkey and facilitating travelling, residence, education, and legal business for Afghans in that country.
They also talked about controlling human smuggling, policies, regulations, programs, new facilities in migrating to Turkey, responsibilities of the new migration administration in Turkey, electronic registration of migrants, biometric and database process, issuing residence to Afghan citizens, taking care of political matters, combining families of migrants, ousting criminals, and fighting terrorist groups, especially Daesh, the statement added. Finally, the Deputy Minister appreciated Turkish authorities’ good behavior with Afghan migrants in that country and committed to jointly working with the related organizations of both countries in order to better manage and organize issues related to Afghan migrants in Turkey.