04 June 2020

RSS Facebook

Ads

Thursday, 28 May 2020 07:45

Mines Confiscated in Faryab

Thursday, May 28, 2020
Maimana (BNA) The security forces of Faryab discovered and confiscated three mines yesterday.
Mohammad Hanif Rezaee Shaheen 209 army corps spokesman told BNA, the mines were discovered and defused by security forces from outskirt of Almar District.
It is said that Taliban planted these mines for targeting security and defense forces.
T. Yarzada

Thursday, May 28, 2020
Kabul (BNA) Even though calls for the Taliban to prolong a cease-fire with the Afghan government have gone unanswered so far, there have been no signs of renewed fighting and the militants say they will release more prisoners. A Taliban-declared three-day lull in fighting, which ended on May 26, provided a rare break from the violence, prompting the government to call on the militants to extend the cease-fire so long-delayed peace talks could begin. Amid the cease-fire, Afghan authorities released 900 Taliban prisoners -- part of a pledge by the government to free up to 2,000 militants in response to the Taliban's cease-fire move. A senior member of the Taliban on May 27 told the AFP news agency that the militants were planning to free about 50 to 100 Afghan security force members as early as May 28.
The Afghan government has also called on the Taliban to extend the cease-fire. "If the Taliban are ready to extend the cease-fire, we are ready to continue the cease-fire too," National Security Council spokesman Javid Faisal said on May 27, adding that the future of negotiations "depends on the Taliban's next move.
" The prisoner exchange is part of a February 29 U.S.-Taliban agreement that did not include the Afghan government. Under the deal, Washington agreed to pull its troops out of the country in exchange for security guarantees. On May 26, U.S. President Donald Trump said he had not set a target date for a troop withdrawal from Afghanistan, amid speculation he may make ending the United States' longest war a campaign issue ahead of November's presidential election. "We're there 19 years and, yeah, I think that's enough.... We can always go back if we want to," Trump told a White House news conference. "I have no target. But as soon as reasonable.
Yarzada

 

Thursday, May 28, 2020
Kabul (BNA) Afghan security institutions in a joint statement on Wednesday rejected a report on a US newspaper that at least 50 percent of Afghan forces most likely have been affected with coronavirus.
The report by New York Times said on Tuesday that the Pentagon believes that at least 50 percent of Afghan security forces most likely have coronavirus, meaning that any training and joint operations between United States and Afghan forces have been paused. Afghan ministries of interior and defense, and the National Directorate of Security in a joint statement said that the infection figure was not true. The statement noted that preventive measures are in place at Afghan forces bases across the country.
It said that vulnerability of Afghan forces to coronavirus has been kept at lowest level. Afghan security institutions in their statement said that Afghan forces are constantly engaging with Resolute Support which will continue to offer training and advice. Meanwhile, Afghanistan's coronavirus cases rose to 12,456 on Wednesday after 625 new cases were recorded over the past 24 hours.
Yarzada

Thursday, May 28, 2020
Kabul (BNA) President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani in a phone conversation with President Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov of Turkmenistan discussed efforts to expand mutual economic and trade relations, strengthening regional economic ties and address transit challenges, a presidential statement said.
Having extended congratulations to the president and people of Afghanistan on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr, President Berdymukhamedov said his country plans to fund and construct two coronavirus testing centers in Torghundi and Andkhoy ports and to disinfect all trucks and freights passing through the two ports, the statement added. President Ghani welcomed the initiative, terming it a significant step to prevent the spread of the corona pandemic, according to statement.
Yarzada

Thursday, May 28, 2020
Kabul (BNA) Acting Minister of Defense Asadullah Khalid and Resolute Support Commander Gen. Scott Miller have visited Khah Khah battalion in Camp Scorpion and met with Afghan Special Forces personnel, a statement from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said on Wednesday Gen. Miller and Khalid discussed current security situation, the critical role of Afghan security personnel and peace process, the statement said.
Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) as a whole represented strong, professional and capable forces that happened to be the cornerstone for building peace in Afghanistan.
Yarzada

Wednesday, 27 May 2020 05:49

Taliban Attack Repulsed in Badakhshan

Wednesday, May 27, 2020
Faizabad (BNA) Taliban stormed on Houshah region, Khwan district, and with giving heavy casualties, escaped from the site.
Neek Mohammad Nazari spokesman for Badakhshan governor told BNA local correspondent, Taliban attacked on the mentioned region, and were faced with sever resistance of security troops and with giving heavy losses, escaped from the site.
In the attack, 15 Taliban militants were killed and injured and a local policeman was martyred and two others have been injured.
Likewise, Taliban attacked on police checkpoint in Raghistan district, and were faced with resistance of security forces, in which three Taliban militants were killed and five others have been injured, said Nazari.
T. Yarzada

 

Wednesday, May 27, 2020
Maimana (BNA) Five members of a Taliban Commander were killed in explosion of a mine in Pashtoonkot district, Faryab province last night.
BNA quoting from Shaheen army corps press office, a mine explosion occurred in house of Mohammad Zahir local commander of Taliban in Nelan region, Pashtoonkot district, Fayab, in which two boys, two girls and his wife were killed.
T. Yarzada


 

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 Kabul (BNA) The Afghan government has released another 900 Taliban prisoners from jails on Tuesday, the government confirmed. The Office of the National Security Council said that the step was taken “to advance peace process, including the continuation of the bilateral ceasefire and the immediate start of direct negotiations.” According to government, 581 inmates were released from Bagram jail while the rest were released from Kabul and other provinces. According the source, the released prisoners have taken an oath never to return to the battlefield. The Afghan government released a batch of 100 Taliban prisoners on Monday from Parwan jail, so far, 2000 Taliban inmates have been released, while the Taliban has released 200 government inmates only. Meanwhile, the Taliban militant group has welcome the government’s move and call it as a gesture of goodwill. “Release of 2000 prisoners by the other side is a good step. The stipulation in the Doha Agreement for the release of 5000 prisoners was to create a conducive atmosphere of confidence. This process should be completed in order to remove hurdles in the way of commencement of intra-Afghan negotiations and to pave the way for further progress which is to follow,” the group’s political spokesman, Suhail Shaheen said in a tweet on Tuesday. He added that the Taliban is committed to the “release of prisoners on its own part.” It comes as the two sides declared a 3-day ceasefire during the Eid Ul-Fitr. Yarzada

Wednesday, May 27, 2020
Kabul (BNA) More than 325,000 Afghan refugees returned to their home over the past four months amid coronavirus pandemic, officials said Tuesday.
Of the number, 55,000 refugees returned from Pakistan while the rest returned from Iran through Herat and Nimroz borders, according to Ministry of Refugees and Repatriation.
The ministry said that refugees were still returning from Iran at the level of up to 1,500 daily.
Earlier, the International Organization of Migration said that fears of contracting coronavirus in Iran have led to a record number of Afghan returnees.
Iran is the worst coronavirus affected country in the Middle East. Meanwhile, Afghanistan's total coronavirus cases rose to 11,831 after its health ministry registered 658 new cases over the past 24 hours
Yarzada

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 Kabul (BNA) The country's Ministry of Public Health on Tuesday reported 658 new positive cases of COVID-19 across the country over the past 24 hours, bringing the total cases in Afghanistan to 11,831. 237 were reported in Kabul, 85 in Herat, 77 in Balkh, 59 in Baghlan, 52 in Badghis, 52 in Farah, 29 in Faryab, 27 in Nangarhar, 11 in Bamiyan, seven in Logar, six in Kapisa, four in Sar-e-Pul, one in Samangan and one in Takhar province. One COVID-19 patient died in the past 24 hours. The total number of reported deaths from the coronavirus in Afghanistan is now 220. Another 31 patients recovered from the virus in Balkh. The number of recoveries nationwide is 1,128. Data by the Ministry of Public Health indicates there are 10,483 active cases of COVID-19 in the country. So far, the Ministry of Public Health has tested 32,870 samples, according to the ministry. Despite persistent calls by the Ministry of Public Health to stay home, the pandemic continues to expand in various areas of the country. The number of deaths from COVID-19 globally is more than 346,612 and the number of global coronavirus cases is 5,508,904, according to Johns Hopkins University. Yarzada
Page 3 of 363