26 January 2020

RSS Facebook

Ads

Sunday, January 19, 2020
Kabul (BNA) Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi has stressed on Islamabad's commitment toward "security and stability" in South Asia as he met US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and held wide-ranging talks on bilateral issues, the situation in Afghanistan and the Middle East, Pakistani media reported yesterday.
"In my meeting today with US Secretary of State @SecPompeo, discussed engagement between Pakistan and US, its mutual benefit, along with it being a factor for stability in South Asia. Exchanged how stronger trade & investment is imp for an enduring partnership," Qureshi said yesterday in a tweet after the meeting. Pakistani FM also expressed his "deep concerns" over the situation in Kashmir and said that "peace in South Asia is elusive until this is resolved in accordance with UN resolutions & wishes of Kashmiris."
On the Afghan peace process, the two leaders termed it as a "shared responsibility" and spoke about the importance of US-Pakistan cooperation to bring peace in the region.
"The convergence between Pakistan & US stands as a unique opp for peace in Afghanistan, ultimately a shared responsibility," he said in another tweet.
They also discussed about the latest developments in the Middle East arising out of the killing of Iranian General Qasem Soleimani by a US drone strike and the Gulf country reiterating with hitting the US air bases in Iraq.
"Discussed recent developments in ME and reiterated Pakistan will continue to play part for peace in entire region. We are committed to security & stability," Qureshi said. State Department Spokesperson Morgan Ortagus said that "Iran's malign activities in the region" and bilateral economic ties were also discussed.
Pompeo, in a tweet, said they "discussed countering Iranian aggression, the Afghan peace process, trade ties, and regional stability." According to the Dawn newspaper, Qureshi also briefed Pompeo about discussions held during his recent visits to Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Sunday, January 19, 2020
Kabul (BNA) Amid US and Taliban new round of talks in Doha which is focused on signing of a deal, the presidential spokesman Sediq Sediqqi during a press conference on Saturday said that Afghan people, government and its allies are insisting on a complete ceasefire before the next step in the peace process.
Addressing media at the Government Media and Information Center here in Kabul, Sediqqi said talks are underway between US special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad’s team and the Taliban negotiators, but there has been "no progress so far," referring specifically to discussions about a ceasefire or reduction in violence.
Sediqqi said that ending the war and bringing peace to the country were priorities of the government and “the president and the people of Afghanistan have always insisted on a ceasefire.”
He reiterated that the people should see a ceasefire because it is the "most important demand of Afghans."
Presidential spokesman said the Afghan government hoped that the Taliban would have returned from Quetta having accepted the call for a ceasefire in order to move towards a dignified peace.
Sediqqi reiterated that President Ghani and his US counterpart, during their meeting in Bagram late in November last year, "agreed" that a ceasefire should be a precondition for intra-Afghan negotiations.
Repeating his previous comments, Sediqqi said that reduction in violence “is not practical” and “we hope that the Taliban will end violence as it will lead them nowhere.”
The Taliban "should accept a ceasefire if they are really interested in peace," as it is the "demand of the people of Afghanistan," he said.
The process will "not achieve any results without the role of the Afghan government,” Sediqqi said, recalling the pause in the peace talks in Doha last year in September. “Peace is ours; we should remain involved.”
In this latest round of peace talks in Qatar, the Taliban has reportedly agreed to a reduction in violence for a 10-day period which means the group will not carry out attacks in urban areas, sources close to the meetings told Media.

Sunday, 19 January 2020 09:09

Mine Blast Wounds Police Officers in Ghor

Sunday, January 19, 2020
Ferozkoh (BNA) Two police officers have been injured in explosion of a mine in Dara-e-Takht region, Ghor-Herat highway yesterday.
Abdul Hai Khatebi spokesman for Ghor governor told BNA correspondent, the police officers were moving to clear the mine in Ghor-Herat highway, their vehicle hit a mine.
Two police officers were injured in the blast, he added.
T. Yarzada

Sunday, 19 January 2020 09:07

Taliban Leaders Killed in Logar Operation

Sunday, January 19, 2020
Pul-e-Alam (BNA) Two Taliban leaders were killed by security troops operation in Logar last night.
Dedar Ahmad Loweng spokesman for Logar governor told BNA, the Taliban leaders were killed in Nawkola region, Charkh district.
Two other insurgents have been detained, weapons explosive cache of Taliban were also demolished in the operation.
T. Yarzada

Sunday, 19 January 2020 09:05

People Detained on Suspicion of Crimes

Sunday, January 19, 2020
Kabul (BNA) Twelve people have been detained on suspicion of criminal crimes in clearing operation conducted by police forces in outskirt of Kabul.
Police press office of Kabul said, the people have been detained on charges of killing, thief, disrupting public order from outskirts of 2nd, 5th, 17th precincts  and Soroobi district of Kabul city.
T. Yarzada

Sunday, January 19, 2020
Jalalabad (BNA) Two Taliban insurgents were arrested in a clearing operation conducted by security forces in Nangarhar last night.
The insurgents were suppressed in Momand Dara District.
Medias office of Nangarhar with releasing a statement said, the Taliban were arrested while destructive actions.
Heavy and light weapons were seized from the detainees.
Another report says, police of Nangarhar discovered and defused six mines from crowded ways of the province and prevented from a series of blasts.
Security officials of the province blamed Taliban for the planning mines.
T. Yarzada

Saturday January 18, 2020

Kabul (BNA) Mohammad Ashraf Ghani President of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan emphasize that talks, direct negotiations between Taliban and Afghanistan government and ceasefire are the main key mechanisms of peace process.
BNA political analyst commenting on the issue writes, President Ghani during meeting with Niels Annen, the German State Minister at the Federal Foreign Office discussed mutual interests, particular Afghanistan peace process the other day.
During the meeting President Ghani called significant peace process led by government of Afghanistan, adding Afghan-led and owned-peace process and peace is the top priority and a milestone of the government and people of Afghanistan, he underlined that dialogue, direct negotiations between government and Taliban and ceasefire are the essential components of peace process.
President Ghani added that Afghan government is working closely with the United States, Germany and other allies to put an end to the four-decade conflict in the country.
During the meeting President Ghani further added that annihilating terrorists safe hideouts, break up Taliban ties with other terrorist groups, fighting against narcotic drug and economic crimes are the other components that paves the way for ensuring peace in Afghanistan, government of Afghanistan is working with the countries in the region to build regional consensus on peace, Ghani added.
Recently, some media reported that Taliban group after several months consultations agreed on seven-day violence reduction in Afghanistan.
Sources said that Taliban political delegations share their decision with American delegations in Doha.
Before that, US delegations asked from Taliban to reduce violence and being prepared for direct negotiations with Afghanistan government.
Already, Taliban leaders called that we are ready to announce long-term ceasefire with US troops in Afghanistan, but the group rejected ceasefire with Afghan National Defense and Security Forces, while Afghanistan government emphasize on ceasefire before starting peace talks, but Taliban considers short-term violence reduction.
Presidential spokesperson, Sediq Seddiqi last week tweeted, “A ceasefire is the Afghan government’s plan for beginning peace negotiations, reduction of violence does not have an accurate meaning in legal and military terms, and it is not practical, by ceasefire, we mean a ceasefire like the one established in the country two years ago, during the Eid days--it had a clear definition.”
Taliban group fears from ceasefire announcement, leaders of the group know that by declaring ceasefire the group will lose its power in US peace negotiations in Doha.
Taliban leaders for their political future and benefits are busy on bargaining with US representatives since a year in Qatar.
Afghans have endured four decades of conflicts and burn in external political games, so reduction violence in a week is a surface discussion and dose not respond the current situation.
Afghanistan people completely and permanently want to end war and violence in the country and demanded from parties involved in conflicts that by considering national interests move toward a permanent and comprehensive peace.
Reaching a durable and dignity peace is possible only by announcing ceasefire and trust on each other.
M.A.Ansari
 

Saturday, 18 January 2020 07:46

Taliban Strongholds Demolished in Nangarhar

Saturday, January 18, 2020
Jalalabad (BNA) Taliban commander with his four colleagues was killed in attack of security troops in Nangahar.
Four Taliban strongholds were demolished in the attack which was supported by the country’s air force.
The strongholds of Taliban were located in suburb of Khogyani district bazaar.
Ataullah Khogyani spokesman for Nangarhar governor told BNA, during the operation, the security troops destroyed four strongholds of Taliban with all war equipment.
He confirmed that in the attack, the security troops killed a Taliban commander with his four colleagues.
According to reports, dozens heavy and light weapons and documents suggesting the Taliban have links to Pakistan have been seized from these centers.
T. Yarzada

Saturday, 18 January 2020 07:45

Armed Insurgents Killed in Nooristan Clash

Saturday, January 18, 2020
Paroon (BNA) Six armed insurgents were killed in a conflict by security troops in Nooristan province last night.
The Taliban were targeted in Wantwaigal district while abducting of a passenger bus.
Selab army corps in east of the country with releasing a statement said, six Taliban insurgents were killed.
With attack of security troops on Taliban, abduction of civilians by attackers were prevented, said the statement.
T. Yarzada

Saturday, 18 January 2020 07:43

Taliban Attack Repulsed in Nangarhar

Saturday, January 18, 2020
Jalalabad (BNA) Planning of Taliban for organizing a blast was failed in Nangarhar.
Security officials discovered and defused a car full of explosive from a hideout of Taliban in Khogyani district.
Ataullah Khogyani spokesman for Nangarhar governor told BNA, Taliban wanted to ues the car in a crowded road of the province, but not succeeded to their evil goal.
T. Yarzada

Page 7 of 3753