15 November 2018

RSS Facebook

Ads

Friday September 7, 2018 Kabul (BNA) At least 26 people including two journalists lost their lives and more than 90 people including three journalists were wounded following to back to back suicide attacks in 18th precinct of Kabul city the night before last. According to BNA report, first, a suicide attacker exploded himself inside a wrestling club in Dasht Barchi area, 18th precinct of Kabul city late on Wednesday. Then a car packed with explosive materials donated in the area while people and journalists have been gathered to help the victims of first attack and prepare reports. Samim Faramarz correspondent and Ramez Ahmadi photographer of Tolo News TV have died and three journalists were wounded following the car bombing attack. No individual or group has commented regarding the incident so far, but already such incident carried out by ISIS terrorist group in the same area. Meanwhile, Leadership of the ministry for information and culture condemns the terrorist attacks in the strongest possible terms and asks security and judicial organs to make effort and identify and punish those behind these barbaric acts. Unfortunately, besides other Afghan citizens, media staff were also targeted in a deadly incident, in which a journalists and cameraman were martyred in the attacks. Today’s incident proved that the terrorists are not bound by any law or religion and they target whoever they want. As an advocate of freedom of speech and media, the ministry of information and culture asks people, civil and political parties and different segments of the society to cooperate with the government in identifying those culprits behind such deadly acts. The MoIC’s leadership asks paradise for those martyred and great patience to their families. M.A.Ansari

Friday September 7, 2018 Kabul (BNA) At the end of a two-day joint visit to Afghanistan, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi, and the United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, Mark Lowcock, called on donors to urgently increase and sustain support for the humanitarian response. This includes measures to find durable solutions for millions of people caught up in Afghanistan’s complex and rapidly evolving displacement crisis. “Deepening violence and now drought is affecting hundreds of thousands of families across the country. Civilian casualties are at an all-time high, with 40,000 civilians having been maimed or killed in the past four years. Despite the challenging and often dangerous environment, brave humanitarians – who have also come under attack too frequently – have proven year after year that they can effectively deliver,” said Lowcock, while acknowledging that access can often be severely limited due to security constraints. In Kabul, Grandi and Lowcock met President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani and Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah and other senior government officials, as well as donors, development and humanitarian partners, UN agencies, NGOs, and families affected by the conflict. “Afghanistan is at a crossroads. A combination of conflict, natural disasters, and inadequate access to basic services and economic opportunities is causing continued waves of internal displacement. The country now more than ever needs the support of the international community, as it takes steps to pursue peace and stability, and to link humanitarian action to broader development efforts,” said Mr. Grandi. “Without a solution to displacement, there will be no lasting peace." Grandi also welcomed Afghanistan’s commitment to a strengthened model for the return and reintegration of refugees and the internally displaced that also involves development actors, fosters innovation and encourages private sector involvement. He noted that the inclusion of refugee issues as part of a larger dialogue between Afghanistan and Pakistan was also a positive step. While recognizing the daunting challenges Afghanistan faces, Grandi and Lowcock commended the inclusion of displaced persons and returnees in national programming, addressing land issues for returnees, investing in districts of high return and working together to ensure return and reintegration is sustainable over the longer-term and that the root causes of displacement and humanitarian crises are addressed. Despite the difficult conditions, as of early September some 12,000 refugees have returned to Afghanistan under UNHCR’s voluntary repatriation programme this year, adding to the more than 5.2 million Afghan refugees who have been assisted to return home since 2002. Still, 2.6 million refugees remain in Pakistan and Iran along with an even larger number of undocumented Afghans, and others holding Afghan passports. Grandi visited Iran before arriving in Kabul, and together with Lowcock will travel to Pakistan later today. Their visit took place at a time when 4.2 million people in Afghanistan are in acute need of humanitarian assistance due to conflict, displacement and natural disasters including ongoing drought. An additional 8.7 million people are in need of assistance caused by abject poverty, high unemployment and loss of livelihoods due to the effects of climate change. Grandi and Lowcock met internally displaced people and returnees at a community centre in Kabul, together with people receiving social services and livelihoods training. These projects are part of Community-Based Protection Measures aimed at supporting the reintegration of returnees and IDPs and facilitating community development, including programmes that generate livelihoods opportunities, promote peaceful coexistence, and directly assist persons with specific needs, particularly women and children and persons living with disabilities. Grandi stressed UNHCR’s continued commitment to the 2.6 million Afghan refugees remaining in countries of asylum in the region, including efforts to facilitate their voluntary return and sustainable reintegration in Afghanistan. He also reiterated his agency’s intention to work with the government, the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, led by Mr. Lowcock, and other partners to renew efforts to find durable solutions for the country’s estimated 1.9 million IDPs. “Inclusiveness is critical in the Afghan context. Humanitarian action must meet everyone’s needs and priorities,” Lowcock stressed after meeting a group of physically disabled people, some of whom established small businesses through cash grants. “The most vulnerable groups, including people with disabilities, must not be forgotten – particularly in the midst of a humanitarian crisis.” With Afghan displacement entering its fourth decade next year, the joint mission to Afghanistan seeks to reinforce timely and predictable international support toward the humanitarian situation in Afghanistan and ongoing efforts to respond and seek solutions. Reliefweb Ansari

Friday September 7, 2018 Qala-e-Naw City (BNA) At least 11 Afghan national army personnel were martyred in a Taliban ambush in Badghis province the night before last. The reinforcement troops managed to repel Taliban attack, but were martyred in Taliban ambush in Abkamari district of Badghis province. Senior commander of Afghan National Army in the west of the country told BNA correspondent, 11 Afghan National Army troops were martyred during the ambush. Clashes erupted between Taliban and Afghan security forces, in which 17 Taliban militants were killed. M.A.Ansari

Friday September 7, 2018 Kabul (BNA) Defense Secretary Jims Mattis arrived in the Afghan capital of Kabul Friday on a surprise visit to the war-weary country. The U.S. command in Afghanistan confirmed the visit but offered no details. According to BNA report, Mattis arrived in Afghanistan accompanied by Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Marine General Joseph Dunford. Jims Mattis was met by the new American commander in Afghanistan, Gen. Austin Scott Miller, ahead of a planned meeting with President Ashraf Ghani. Apache helicopter gunships circled the American Embassy and the U.S.-led coalition’s military headquarters for a half-hour as the delegation arrived. M.A.Ansari

Friday September 7, 2018 Jalalabad City (BNA) About 18 supporters of ISIS terrorist group killed during latest attacks carried out by Afghan Special Forces in vicinity of eastern Nangarhar province last night. The terrorists have been targeted and killed in various parts of Haska Mena, Bati Koot, Acheen and Ghani Khail districts of the province. Senior commander of Afghan National Army in the east of the country told BNA correspondent, air and ground raids carried out by Afghan Special Forces in different parts of the mentioned districts, in which 18ISIS adherents were killed and their several hideouts along with some military equipment have been destroyed too. According to another report, Afghan security forces by discovering and confiscating four round of different type of mines succeeded to prevent from a series of blast in Nangarhar province. Also during this period, two weapon storages belonging terrorist group have been seized by Afghan security troops in relevant areas of Jalalabad city the provincial capital of the province. Several heavy and light weapons have been seized from the storages. Local officials in the province claimed that ISIS members used the weapon storages in their terrorist and destructive activities. M.A.Ansari

Friday, 07 September 2018 12:10

U.S. and UN Condemn Kabul Recent Attacks

Friday September 7, 2018 Kabul (BNA) The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) and the US have condemned the twin bombings targeting civilians at a sports club in Kabul. At least 21 people including journalists were killed and more than 80 others wounded in Wednesday’s attack. The first blast occurred when a suicide bomber blew himself up inside the gym at a wrestling event. A car bomb followed when first responders reached the scene. Two journalists from the Tolo News were among the dead and several other reporters were injured. UNAMA condemned the attacks against the Shiites minority and expressed deep concern over the killing of journalists. The UN mission extended deep condolences to families who lost loved ones and wished a quick recovery to the injured. In a separate statement, the US embassy in Kabul also denounced the terrorist attack, which took the lives of many young people. “We extend our deepest condolences to the families, friends, and colleagues of all the victims. We stand with the people and Afghan government in their fight against terrorism and support our Afghan partners’ cause of Peace,” the statement said. Ansari

Friday September 7, 2018 Asadabad City (BNA) Clashes between ISIS and Taliban loyalists ongoing in eastern Kunar province. Dozens loyalists of ISIS and Taliban terrorist groups were killed and several others were arrested during the conflicts until now. According to reports, the clashes started from Chapa Dara district and spreading in different parts of Kunar province. A senior commander of Afghan National Army in east of the country told BNA reporter, three members of Taliban and four loyalists of ISIS terrorist group were killed during recent clashes. It is mentionable that, clashes have been occurred between ISIS and Taliban fighters in east and north of the country that the two groups sustained heavy losses. M.A.Ansari
Friday September 7, 2018 Firoz Koh City (BNA) A group of Taliban militants stormed on Tolak district’s building of western Ghor province last night. According to BNA report, hundreds Taliban fighters carried out attack on Tolak district’s building and government installations located in the district. Senior commander of Afghan National Army in the west of the country told BNA reporter, Afghan security forces by cooperation of reinforcement troops succeeded to repulse Taliban attack after 2 hours clashes. The senior commander confirmed the martyrdom of two policemen during the clashes. Taliban militants sustained heavy casualties, but the exact number is not clear yet, the source concluded. M.A.Ansari

Friday August 31, 2018 Kabul (BNA) A senior commander of Taliban terrorist group along with his 10 men were killed during suddenly attack in eastern Nangarhar province. The attack launched by National Directorate Security (NDS) personnel in Khogyani district of the province. According to reports, Mullah Rafiullah the commander along with his men were busy on organizing a series of terrorist activities that targeted by NDS personnel. Spokesman of Nangarhar governor told BNA correspondent, Mullah Rafiullah along with his 10 men were killed and 10 terrorists were arrested during the attack. There were no damage on part of Afghan security forces at the end of the assault, the source added. M.A.Ansari

Friday August 31, 2018 Kabul (BNA) The construction work of 55 public utility projects has been started in eastern Nangarhar province. The projects include supplying of drinking water, rural road reconstruction, road asphalting, power supply and handicrafts. Press office of Nangarhar’s office by releasing a statement reported that, the projects will be cost over 550 million Afghanis that will be paid by internal and external organizations. The projects would be implemented in 20 districts and central of the province. Local officials said, by implementing of the projects hundreds families will be benefited. M.A.Ansari

Page 8 of 264